Sunday, March 15, 2009

Shrewdness-Survival of Artists




I have used the extra time as a gift from the Gods.
 I even unpacked my Nikon for my last portrait job or was it the one before last? I have gone thus far to shoot in public from the hip, clandestinely, sometimes while people are rushing by me, Robert Frank style. 

Seen the light of Henri Cartier-Bresson, wild and crazy with only an instant of pre-composition. All fired by the comments of Ms Anne Tucker curator of the Houston  Museum of Fine Arts:" It will be interesting to see whether in an era when documentary photography is no longer embraced by the art world, the current hard times will prompt artist-photographers to document human suffering, endurance." 

It is funny that I, before reading this I had these urges to walk to Sacramento and photograph in the trenches of tent city, just as I did back in the early 80's when times were rough. In fact I am walking more, touch the street-pavement, hear people on the street, laughing, cursing. Taking public transportation, eves-dropping deep into the pulse of society. Watching young angels reading Pulitzer Prize winner, Angel of Repose by Wallace Stegner-all visual delights.

No comments:

Post a Comment